Year 6-7 Transition
When students enter Year 6, decisions will need to be made with regard to post primary placement. Begin by discussing the options with your child, teachers and other parents. Contact post-primary schools to ascertain when information days/nights are to be held. These sessions offer parents and students information about such matters as curriculum, policies and uniforms. Usually in mid-year, ‘Application for Enrolment’ forms are sent home to parents to complete and return to Watsonia North Primary School. In early December, Orientation Days are held at the Post-Primary schools. Students are provided with activities designed to familiarise them with the new school setting.
You may find some of the links on this website useful:
Moving to Secondary School
- Families of Year 5 and 6 students will receive advertising information from Secondary Schools in our local areas. It is up to you to read the information, attend parent information sessions at the Secondary Schools and visit the Secondary Schools with your Year 5 or 6 student during a school day. Then you will be able to make an informed choice for the placement to best suit your Year 6 student at a Government Secondary School.
- Enrolment at Government Secondary Schools is handled through WNPS following the Department of Education & Training (DET), Northern Metropolitan Region timeline. Students in Year 6 will receive their ‘Application for Enrolment’ form and relevant information in Term 2. These forms need to be returned by the due date in May 2020.
- The ‘Application for Enrolment’ forms will be collated at WNPS and forwarded to the first preference school listed. Some Secondary Schools have enrolment limits or selection criteria which need to be considered.
- Early in September, families will be notified of the placement of their student.
- During Term 4, students will receive an information package from their selected Secondary School regarding Information Sessions, Enrolment information, Orientation Day, uniform, booklist, etc.
- Students who have been enrolled at independent and private schools need to return their ‘Application for Enrolment’ forms to WNPS stating which school they will be attending in Year 7 for 2021.
For your information, some of Watsonia North Primary School’s feeder Secondary Schools (Government) are listed below. Follow the links to visit each school site.